Saturday 24 March 2012

Beauty By Robin Mckinley

Aah! I absolutely loved this book! When I finished it I was like...>>










First off all Fairy Tales are my favourite type of storytelling. They nearly always have a happy ending and all the best characters, So on this book I may be a tad biased. Sorry about that. 

First off all I don’t usually read adaptions of book that have been made into movies by Disney because all the way through the book my mind is constantly playing the God-dam movie. And as sure as hell this is what happened. 

But, the adaption of this book was different! It wasn’t a Disney movie with just words to describe the computer animation. McKinley changed the backstory, to make the plot stronger and obeys some of the Story Telling laws of Physics. 

Most Fairy tales have the symbolic features; Weak Female character that needs saving by the Big and Strong male character; A Horrible and Slave ridden life and a Family that hates and bullies her, her entire life. And not forgetting no looks to speak of till she puts on her oh so lovely ball gown and she’s a pretty as a butterfly.  I’m sorry children I know I did say I loved Fairy tales, I do but they are very, very sexist and all those other mean words. 

BUT… As the point I was beginning to get to. Modern retellings usually involve more innocent meanings and plots. For example Beauty loves her family and they love her back. She has two doting sisters, a brother in Law and a Father who will do anything for her.  

Beauty. I loved her. She was heroic, solid and so, so blameless.  Her journey through the story and her narration was perfect. She grew up and changed the world (well my world).


The beast… right. I did love him but I wanted more angry scenes, like Disney.  He was too human; we needed to see more scenes where the reader saw him even if it scared Beauty. I think we needed to be reminded that he wasn’t Human at the moment anyway
 (and I’m sorry that isn’t a spoiler. If you didn’t know that you have not had a just childhood). 
I wanted more scenes where he found his human side because of beauty, yes there were quite a few in the book it’s self but I WANTED MORE. MORE!


I think McKinley way right to change the parts of the story in her adaption it made the plot line even more realistic and real. She connected all the dots to make each event connect. She didn’t just make her character strong and brave. She gave a reason to! 

Although, I wasn't pleased with the ending as much  as I would have liked. I felt it needed a epilogue to show the reader what her life was like now she had found her prince etc. But traditionally the Fairy tales end with her princess finding her prince and throwing all consequences to the wind just for that one kiss *sigh*

The author of this book made this Fairy tale into one of my favourite books on my bookshelf at the moment and treat to recommend to friends and family knowing they will love as much as I did.

Can I just add the part on the library? 

THAT Right there is WHY we need more book nerds in the bookworld we live in. SO THAT MAY BE CREATED! If I ever rule the world. That is my room. Period.

P. S Thank you McKinley also for not including Gaston. 

And I think the true meaning of this story is that:

No comments:

Post a Comment